Thursday, May 6, 2010

Culture Shock

Home. Wow, after four months here I am at home.

Some immediate observations:
1. It is so quiet. Incredibly quiet in Petoskey. (no honking cars, people asking you buy something or go for a tuk tuk ride, no loud music, and no roosters).
2. Cars stop for pedestrians in a cross walk. Now isn't this incredible? What a concept and what a wonderful thing about small town America.
3. You have to think about what to cook before you are hungry. Hmmm, I just can't eat at a food stall when I feel the need to eat? I actually have to think about it. Hence, dinner has been a bit late the last few days.
4. Daylight. Wow, I forgot how much of it there is at this time of year. Near the equator you basically have the same amount of daylight all year round, with only maybe an hour fluctuation. So the whole time I was in Asia, the sunset around six in the evening. It isn't dark here until after 8 right now (and by the end of June it will be after 10). My timing is all off and combined with jetlag, I don't know when to eat or sleep.
5. You have to drive to a store to get food and things. No shopping on the street.
6. The temperature outside of 42 degrees is not Celsius, but Fahrenheit.

Did I mention how quiet it is?
All good. All very good.
Glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment