Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rhinos and more

We did get to do a few things besides sit in meetings while in Nepal. We rode elephants into Chitwan National Park to see the Great One Horned Rhino. We saw eight! Plus two kinds of monkeys, three kinds of deer, crocodile, and lots of birds. The Rhinos are very interesting looking, almost archaic.

We hiked to a nice viewpoint in Pokhara to see the sunrise over the mountains. It was beautiful to see the mountains light up. Seeing the mountains made me want to be hiking in them, rather than just looking at them.

I also went for a bike ride with two friends in Pokhara after our classwork. We were all so happy getting out of town riding along the lake. About 6 or so kilometers out I knew something was wrong with by bike and gears. The next thing I knew I heard a noise and came to a halt. I thought the chain was caught. But beyond by belief the derailleur and chain broke in half! What to do. I told my friends to keep riding and I would walk back. But they came with me. We walked about 10 or 15 minutes to a lakeside restaurant. Drank beer and watched the sunset. We went out to walk home and a tractor pulling a huge trailer came by. We flagged them down, loaded all three of our bikes in the trailer and we rode back into town on the tractor! Pretty funny site.

No comments:

Post a Comment